The best things in life are FREE. Love, hugs, fresh air, sunshine — and this collection of Curvy Yoga Tools.
Detangle your spirit with an at-home yoga video, download a guided yoga podcast, peek at my favorite books on movement, mindfulness & meditation, and check out my favorite stores for stylish, bigger-bodied yogis.
This is your Library. Take what you need.
CURVY YOGA PRACTICES, TIPS & MODIFICATIONS
- Seated & Standing Warm-Ups (3-min. practices to get you going)
- Hearts are Curvy (Let’s Open ‘Em Up) (60-min. podcast w/written & vid instructions)
- Wring it Out (60-min. podcast w/written & vid instructions)
- Body Lovin’ Yoga for the New Year (60-min. podcast w/written & vid instructions)
- Curvy Down Dog
- Curvy Side Angle Pose
- Curvy Bridge Pose
- Sun salutations — the curvy way
- Curvy lunge
- Curvy thread-the-needle
- Curvy Standing Forward Bend
- Mega Yoga: This book by Megan Garcia is an excellent introduction to yoga for curvy people, specifically curvy women.
- Big Yoga: Meera Patricia Kerr offers a variety of modifications for curvy people in this book.
- Yoga from the Inside Out: Making Peace With Your Body Through Yoga: Christina Sell’s beautiful book is about leaning into self-acceptance through yoga.
- Health at Every Size: A must-read about how health comes in many different shapes and sizes.
- HeavyWeight Yoga and HeavyWeight Yoga 2: Abby Lentz’s warm presence makes these DVDs a delight; these practices are well-sequenced for both beginner and experienced practitioners.
- Expanding into Fullness: Sally Pugh understands curvy women’s bodies and has sequenced a lovely, gentle class for practitioners of many different sizes, abilities, and experience levels. Throughout the video, she offers many modifications, including many using a chair (and finding a good video with chair modifications is difficult!). For more info, check out my review of this great resource.
- Breath Centered Yoga: Leslie Kaminoff is a yoga anatomy expert, and it shows in this video that offers sequences for a variety of different bodies. Megan Garcia is the curvy yoga student in this video; don’t miss the commentary track where Leslie and Megan discuss modifications for curvy bodies.
RECOMMENDED SHOPS FOR CURVY CLOTHES
- Old Navy: They have an affordable and comfortable selection of plus-sized yoga clothes. Don’t try to go to the store for this, though; their women’s plus collection is only online.
- Athleta: Athleta offers some excellent performance (e.g. wicking) options.
- Danskin: I love their leotards for non-slip options underneath my shirts.
- Junonia: This site offers clothes for a variety of fitness activities, including yoga.
- Lane Bryant: While their selection of active-wear is limited, I still like wearing some of their tops: mix and match fun!
- Alight: This site offers a variety of activewear in a great range of sizes.
- Target: Depending on your local store, their plus-sized offerings may be limited. However, they have quite a selection to choose from online.
- Columbia: They offer a variety of different options, including outdoor stuff.
- Land’s End: They have yoga pants in sizes 1x-3x.
- Decent Exposures: Great array of clothes in a variety of sizes.
- AdoraOm: Activewear designed specifically for curvy bodies.