The best things in life are FREE. Love, hugs, fresh air, sunshine — and this collection of Curvy Yoga Tools.
Detangle your spirit with an at-home yoga video, download a guided yoga podcast, peek at my favorite books on movement, mindfulness & meditation, and check out my favorite stores for stylish, bigger-bodied yogis.
This is your Library. Take what you need.
CURVY YOGA PRACTICES, TIPS & MODIFICATIONS
- Seated & Standing Warm-Ups (3-min. practices to get you going)
- Hearts are Curvy (Let’s Open ‘Em Up) (60-min. podcast w/written & vid instructions)
- Wring it Out (60-min. podcast w/written & vid instructions)
- Body Lovin’ Yoga for the New Year (60-min. podcast w/written & vid instructions)
- Curvy Down Dog
- Curvy Side Angle Pose
- Curvy Bridge Pose
- Sun salutations — the curvy way
- Curvy lunge
- Curvy thread-the-needle
- Curvy Standing Forward Bend
CURVY YOGIS EVERYWHERE: ONLINE COMMUNITY
Curvy yogis are everywhere! And it’s freakin’ amazing. To join our community, ask questions, and share ideas, please visit our Google Group. This group is for curvy yoga students, teachers, and allies. This group is body positive and is a great place to ask questions and share ideas with other yogis invested in yoga for every body.
- Mega Yoga: This book by Megan Garcia is an excellent introduction to yoga for curvy people, specifically curvy women.
- Big Yoga: Meera Patricia Kerr offers a variety of modifications for curvy people in this book.
- Yoga from the Inside Out: Making Peace With Your Body Through Yoga: Christina Sell’s beautiful book is about leaning into self-acceptance through yoga.
- Health at Every Size: A must-read about how health comes in many different shapes and sizes.
- HeavyWeight Yoga and HeavyWeight Yoga 2: Abby Lentz’s warm presence makes these DVDs a delight; these practices are well-sequenced for both beginner and experienced practitioners.
- Expanding into Fullness: Sally Pugh understands curvy women’s bodies and has sequenced a lovely, gentle class for practitioners of many different sizes, abilities, and experience levels. Throughout the video, she offers many modifications, including many using a chair (and finding a good video with chair modifications is difficult!). For more info, check out my review of this great resource.
- Breath Centered Yoga: Leslie Kaminoff is a yoga anatomy expert, and it shows in this video that offers sequences for a variety of different bodies. Megan Garcia is the curvy yoga student in this video; don’t miss the commentary track where Leslie and Megan discuss modifications for curvy bodies.
RECOMMENDED SHOPS FOR CURVY CLOTHES
- Old Navy: They have an affordable and comfortable selection of plus-sized yoga clothes. Don’t try to go to the store for this, though; their women’s plus collection is only online.
- Athleta: Athleta offers some excellent performance (e.g. wicking) options.
- Danskin: I love their leotards for non-slip options underneath my shirts.
- Junonia: This site offers clothes for a variety of fitness activities, including yoga.
- Lane Bryant: While their selection of active-wear is limited, I still like wearing some of their tops: mix and match fun!
- Alight: This site offers a variety of activewear in a great range of sizes.
- Target: Depending on your local store, their plus-sized offerings may be limited. However, they have quite a selection to choose from online.
- Columbia: They offer a variety of different options, including outdoor stuff.
- Land’s End: They have yoga pants in sizes 1x-3x.
- Decent Exposures: Great array of clothes in a variety of sizes.
- AdoraOm: Activewear designed specifically for curvy bodies.